Thursday, September 13, 2012

Following the Call... Again

Life is funny, and it runs an interesting course. There's so much to this story... but I guess here is a good place to start:

Well, I had my interview with The World Race today. And, as I sit here, drinking a cold microbrew, watching ESPN, planning a flight to Patagonia from my laptop, and listening to salmon sizzle in the oven, I am well aware that much is about to change.

A year from now, I will be halfway around the world, sleeping on a floor somewhere eating rice and beans, planting churches, working in orphanages, helping women and children trapped in sex trafficking, and bringing God's faith, love, and hope along with me as I go. If there is one thing that I've come to learn over the past several months, it's that my heart is not normal. I'm not normal. I have a search for something more. Driven by passion, adventure, love, purpose, and a desire to serve... and willing to settle for nothing less. I am not you're average guy. And I was not created to live an average life. God has a plan for me.

When I joined the Marine Corps, I knew that it was what I was supposed to do. A life calling. MY track. When I chose to attend UC Berkeley, it was the same. But, somewhere along the path, I stopped listening to my heart. We'll get into that later. But there was a lot of stumbling, a lot of mistakes, and a life that was simply not on track for what God intended for me. The result was anger, depression, and just not me being "me". In short, everything sort of exploded all at once. Yet another story for another time, but the important part is that it helped to chart my current path.

I remember for months on end, feeling as if my heart was going to explode. Trying to sort out the what, why, how... And finally, deciding that "If my heart wants to feel like it's going to explode, I'll give it some real reason to do so. I will push harder, farther, faster, and stronger than ever before. Let it explode." I was looking for something new. I knew I needed adventure. I knew I NEEDED God back in my life. And I knew that I needed a purpose because that is just how I am designed.

As I searched through Google for words like adventure, mission, calling, purpose, I entered "World Race". And the rest is history... or, ummm... future, I suppose. But when I saw it, I knew. In fact, I cried when I watched the video. ( http://youtu.be/PPOZNkXIjKc ). But don't ever tell anyone that. Ever.

During the interview today, I was asked "Do you consider yourself the ideal Christian?" My reply: "Hell no. But I believe that God has a plan for me. I am willing to follow. I am willing to lead. And I have a heart that is 10x the size of that of any other person you will ever meet. So, let's do this and see what happens".

So, a short blog, with LOTS of information left out and missing, and LOTS more yet to come. I suppose that's why they have that "Subscribe" button over there in the corner. Stay tuned.


4 comments:

  1. Dave, you are quite the person whom is destined for great success! Your journey is one that has had many obstacles in life, but you and only you have been the captain of your vessel and through all the hard work has maneuvered to calm waters! You are an inspiration and look forward to reading your great adventures my friend....always wishing you the best of luck.....Jose Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jose! Life is definitely a journey...

      Glad you're doing well!

      Delete
  2. Nice start for your blog, Dave. You are indeed your own person and have taken many adventures. Read that Bible and make sure your faith is truely in Christ and not in your own ability to make things happen. It's easy to rely on yourself and call it "faith." You are very physically and mentally strong, very capable and have some very good leadership qualities, but do not confuse those with faith. Not saying you do, 'cause I can't make that determination, just sayin' that you need to seriously consider whether you are putting your faith in Christ or in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a big part of the reason for the trip is to test my faith. I wouldn't say it's super strong right now. But I'd like to see it grow. I am by no means a perfect Christian, and I'm fine with that. Like I said, open to change.

      Delete